Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Birds do it...

There have been two birds copulating on my roof for the past three nights. At least, I assume that's what they're doing. Whatever it is it's very noisy.

Had a weird dream last night that I was forced to marry a giant turtle. In the dream I was very happily swimming around in lovely deep blue tropical waters, but was still mortified that i had been paired off with this creature. I think I must be slowly going mad...

"Old Boys" seems to be going rather well, so I take back some of the abuse I hurled at it a couple of weeks back. My director is great, now that she's actually read the script (it helps) and a couple of my actors are CSSD graduates so are pulling the whole thing along. We've reached the stage now where we can concentrate on doing some physical humour in addition ot the jokes I've written in, and to my delight my actors had themselves and me hysterical with laughter to the point we had to take a break to calm down. Our additions are tasteless in the extreme, and I'm kind of hoping none of my students show up to see it... The only problem we have is with the actor playing James. He's a sweetheart and also potentially quite sexy, and you could well believe he's a guy who'd pretend to be an investment banker. However, he hasn't learnt the script (at all), turns up on average half an hour late for rehearsals (last week he admitted he had got "held up" in the pub) and speaks so quietly you can't hear a word he's saying anyway. It isn't altogether his fault - this project is supposed to have WP overtones and consequently it attracts people who don't have much acting experience as well as the clique of CSSD graduates, so you would expect there to be some support for the actors, but there isn't. They get given a script and occasional slots later in the evening where they're allowed to rehearse in a public foyer, watched over by a director who's keen on getting you to jump up and down to "warm up" but hasn't yet read the script that requires direction. I feel bad because the office scenes are so sparklingly good now that he's going to stand out as being a bit rubbish, and the script will be lost for the main scene of the play. Even when you can hear him, he always sounds either pleasantly surprised or confused by each line, and I get the feeling he doesn't quite understand it, because nobody's tried to explain or given us all any time to go over such piffling detail as "what does this actually mean?" Certainly every line that I've put in to create a link to an earlier comment is lost entirely. My lovely director and I had a long chat about this on Monday and are going to do a lot of work from 6.30-10.00 tonight in the hope that the whole thing is at the very least acceptable by 6.30 on 7th. I've just thought... I hope he actually turns up by 6.30 on 7th... We have no understudies...

I need to sleep....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home