Monday, May 09, 2005

And now the end is near...

Two words: George Galloway. What happened?! The guy insists that he represents Old Labour. My arse. He represents himself. A friend of mine slept with the TV on on Thursday night so he could keep up to date with election news (I don't think he gets out much) and had a strange dream halfway through the night involving a manic, ranting Scotsman. He woke up the next morning to the sounds of Galloway's acceptance speech and thouhgt "Damn."
The election was almost worthwhile though as it resulted in this interview with Jeremy Paxman which was just a tad ridiculous! I also feel sorry for Oona King: she's one of the few MPs I've met and liked, and she's certainly the only Labour MP I've met and liked. On the up side, though, I woke up to the news that not only had Barbara Roche lost, she'd lost to a Lib Dem. That still makes me smile even now...

I spent most of friday playing on this interactive map and was somewhat depressed to discover that in most of the places where I/my family has lived the BNP not only fielded a candidate, but got enough votes to get their deposits back. Nick Griffin in Keighley got over 4000 votes. Overall just over 22,000 people voted BNP. I know in the grand scheme of things that isn't much, but then, they didn't put up candidates in all that many places to start with, so it's more than it seems. I probably know people in Blackburn who vote BNP. I probably know people who are members. And that is not a nice thought.

last thought, though: all the presenters were saying how every party won in some way: the Tories are getting back on their feet, the Lib Dems have more seats than ever before, Labour still has a majority... er, no. Actually they all lost. The Lib Dems and Tories lost the election and still are nowhere near being able to win, but the voters made it clear they hate the Labour Party. Oh, and, er, Veritas got bugger all votes. (Although I think Kilroy's mum might have voted for him...)

Comments welcome, as always...

5 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Heh. The Veritas stuff was VERY amusing.

Although Paxman was a bit of a knob with that question to Galloway - yeah, we all think the guy's evil, but aren't journalists supposed to be neutral?!

10:30 am  
Blogger RLS said...

Paxman? Neutral? I guess he's neutral inasmuch as he hates EVERYONE the same and disrespects them all equally.

11:13 am  
Blogger Rachel said...

Hah! True.

12:35 pm  
Blogger Cheezy said...

I'm actually very curious about what's happened to Paxman in the last few years. I came back to England last year after being away for over a decade, and when I left (in 1993) I'm almost positive Jeremy had a brain. He seemed like a pretty good interviewer...

Now I've come back to find him conducting the most peurile non-informative interviews I've ever seen. Half the time he just says "You're not very popular. Why?", to which the only honest answer would always be "Because I'm a f*cking politician!" - but unfortunately they never say that...

Anyway, just thought I'd say that. Aliens seemed to have sucked out Jeremy's brain.

4:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello!
Thanks for those links, Polly. Seeing Galloway make a tit of himself (again) was a delight. It's a serious indictment of democracy that someone like him can be elected.

Looking at the map too, it's rather incredible how much of the country is covered in Tory blue. I guess Labour won lots of seats in small constiuencies with high population densities, and the Tories win in the more rural, larger seats.

Anyway, so this is my first post on your blog. Just want to say I love it! It makes me laugh. Keep up the good work.

RMB

11:27 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home