Saturday, April 30, 2005

The art of knowing little

I am flattered at the amount of indignation my blog seems to have stirred up. I don't recall having ever been taken so seriously before. But there is one thing you must understand about me: I actually know very little about anything useful, and not a great deal that is useless either. (I did discover the other day that I could name the entire 1999-2000 Bradford City squad. But I think that just goes to prove my point.) I assumed such was evident from the fact that I gained a high mark in an English degree, which proves that what I am good at is making things up. If you have two much knowledge, there's a danger it might enter into your essays, and that would be a mistake. The essay I achieved the highest mark in was an essay that discussed the possibility that "The Waste Land" was a play. My tutor remarked that nobody had ever thought of this before. I suggest this may be due to the fact that it was in a book entitled "Poems by T.S. Eliot". If you weren't sure of the genre there was a clue in the name.

A bit like Anusol. I apologise for stooping to such levels, I am in a bit of a stream-of-consciousness mood and it just crossed my mind: why do the makers of Anusol feel the need to state "NOT to be taken by mouth"? You'd think the title made it pretty self evident what one was supposed to do with it.

Bizarre.

Anyway, I have been overly criticised on this and another blog for stating that more deaths have occurred in the name of religion than any other single cause. Apparently I am talking bollocks (I will happily admit I have a tendancy to talk bollocks, but just bear with me a sec). Dunno how many died in the Crusades, but it was a fair few. Dunno how many people were burned as witches and heretics, but again, it was a fair few. Currently people of various faiths are being persecuted in China and elsewhere in the name of religion (or more specifically the fact that they have one.) Similarly, Muslims and Jews are in various places persecuting others, whereas Christians seem to be content with just slagging off people who aren't as absolutely sanctimoniously perfect as they are. With the exception of outright despotism, and perhaps paranoia twinned with it (Stalin et al) I can't think of any other single cause that has resulted in so much bloodshed. Pop music, for example. Or even football. That would be interesting.

Have a good one.

7 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Yeah, Greg made a mention that the Romans weren't motivated by religious stuff, but neither were they atheists. Hell, the more Gods the better as far as they were concerned!

I've stopped reading all the main debate now though - Peter answers one question with about 7 paragraphs - not got the time for it!

10:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[Soz, no idea how to use the system, I intended posting you this]

Anyway, the point was that it has been difference that has killed most people, religion has just been a "function of difference". T.B.

(P.S. Don't let the rottweiller be too harsh on M. Pax Tecum (Cavalier)

11:53 am  
Blogger RLS said...

Hello Anonymous,

Good point.

Px

1:30 pm  
Blogger Greg said...

I'd suggest population pressure might be the biggest cause of wars. Though imperialism is generally just piracy writ large, so greed can be a cause as much as hunger. And then of course there's pride - whether in the form of national pride or simply of wrong men being utterly convinced they're right.

4:07 pm  
Blogger Peter D. Williams said...

Wow, I agree with a lot of this!

I'll blog something, maybe, on this when the election is over - at the mo, I've only just got the time to browse the 'net before bed, then I get up the next morning and campaign some more...

Still, all good fun.

"I'll be back..."

Pax tecum,

The Cavalier

1:04 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://orderamoxicillin.webs.com/]can you buy amoxicillin antibiotic over the counter
[/url] can you buy amoxicillin feed store
highest mg amoxicillin
amoxicillin 500 mg long

1:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://levitranowdirect.com/#ubgdk]levitra online without prescription[/url] - levitra online , http://levitranowdirect.com/#rwgvq cheap levitra online

9:45 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home