Sunday, April 17, 2005

Reunion

A Millfield Society reunion is a bit like posh speed dating. You work your way around a room, being plied with alcohol as you go, and have brief and inane conversations with people you don't recall ever having met before, but whom you are nevertheless trying to impress. Like speed dating, you can even get briefed beforehand, by reading through the last copy of the Society magazine or going on Friends Reunited to give you an idea what everyone is up to.

At this point you remember why you never kept these people's mobile numbers when you left. It's all very well saying "So, what are you up to now?" but since the answer is invariably something like "I run my own stables" or "I travel" or in one case "I moved to Ireland so I could carry on hunting" (which I would argue doesn't answer the question), it does rather leave you unsure of what to say next.

There is a small group of people whose numbers I genuinely intended to keep but which I lost when my phone was stolen, and most of them obviously looked at Friends Reunited like me and thought better of going. It takes me about five minutes to find the remaining four, grovel and exchange numbers. At which point my best friend, who lives in London Bridge, and who I see on average once a month, turns up, and we spend the evening filling up each other's glasses and pointing at people.

I haven't remembered much about anyone, but what other people claim to have remembered about me seems to be entirely fictional. About half the people I spoke to thought I was going out with "the weird guy in the white suit", who was in the year above me. The other half seem to be split between those who think I was going out with the son of my English teacher (?) the two of three who have actually met my partner, and an inexplicable handful who failed to ever go out with me and thus think I'm a lesbian(?!) Then there was one who didn't comment either way, but who wouldn't take his eyes off the top of my dress. The conversation went something like: (Me)"Hey, how I are you?" (Him) "Hi! Er... you look.. your dress is really... it really suits you...you look great...er...do you want a beer?"

I did have a lovely time, ultimately because the main iam of these events is to squeeze as much money out of you as possible, and once they discovered I was a welfare adviser people tended to leave me alone. For the record I promise to keep in touch with Jeremy, Alex, Jo, Philip and Jamie. And of course Yangyang.

And it does make you feel better when your taxi fare comes to more than an entire night' spending.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sounds as if you had quite a good evening!

8:15 am  
Blogger RLS said...

I had a great evening. Particularly since the scroungers that are the Millfield Society left me well alone when they figured out I wasn't earning ver much.

9:32 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

ninest123 16.03
prada outlet, nike outlet, longchamp outlet, burberry outlet, gucci handbags, ralph lauren polo, cheap jordans, louis vuitton outlet, louis vuitton outlet online, oakley sunglasses, uggs on sale, louis vuitton outlet, tiffany jewelry, replica watches, ralph lauren outlet, michael kors outlet, longchamp outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors handbags, replica watches, michael kors outlet online, oakley sunglasses, uggs on sale, louboutin shoes, christian louboutin, ray ban sunglasses, uggs outlet, nike free, christian louboutin, uggs outlet, tiffany jewelry, nike air max, oakley sunglasses, longchamp bags, uggs on sale, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet online, nike air max, louis vuitton handbags, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin uk, michael kors, tory burch outlet, burberry factory outlet, prada handbags

3:51 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

swarovski jewelry, coach outlet, links of london uk, canada goose, canada goose pas cher, moncler, barbour, ugg pas cher, louis vuitton, supra shoes, converse, wedding dresses uk, pandora charms, canada goose uk, karen millen uk, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, canada goose outlet, louis vuitton uk, pandora uk, replica watches, moncler, moncler pas cher, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, moncler, swarovski uk, canada goose outlet, canada goose jackets, moncler, converse shoes outlet, bottes ugg pas cher, barbour jackets uk, canada goose jackets, hollister, marc jacobs, thomas sabo uk, ugg uk, toms shoes, moncler uk, sac louis vuitton, sac louis vuitton, gucci, pandora jewelry, moncler jackets, juicy couture outlet, pandora jewelry, montre pas cher, juicy couture outlet, canada goose, louis vuitton, moncler outlet, ray ban, lancel
ninest123 16.03

3:52 am  
Blogger chenlili said...

chenlili20160427
tory burch handbags
polo ralph kids
kobe 11
louis vuitton outlet stores
nike air max 90
michael kors outlet
toms shoes
designer handbags
supra shoes
coach factory outlet
oakley sunglasses outlet
nike roshe one
adidas running shoes
toms shoes
kevin durant shoes 7
nike uk
coach outlet
michael kors purses
coach outlet
coach outlet
michael kors outlet online
cheap air jordans
christian louboutin outlet
michael kors uk
fitflop shoes
coach outlet
jordan 3s
asics outlet
ray ban outlet
retro 11
rolex watches
louboutin shoes
michael kors handbags
michael kors bags
oakley sunglasses
nike store

1:39 am  
Blogger chenlina said...

oakley sunglasses
prada bags
michael kors outlet
north face outlet
ugg boots
oakley vault
adidas outlet
harden vol 1
true religion jeans
moncler outlet
chenlina20180127

8:59 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home