Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Top 10 Films

I am an extremely shallow person at times. Lying on the floor following a talk about God (I won't go into the specifics) we are all listening to Rachmaninov, and musing on the Bible reading and poem we've just read. or rather, that's probably what everyone else is doing. My thought patterns go something like this:

"Jesus. Good bloke, really...I'm having such a nice time...I liked the poem....never heard that before...oh, I missed Jeff Buckley's version of "Hallelujah" off my blog...but maybe it was never a single...I'll check to see if it was...and "Ghost Town" was a damn good song...I forgot about it...but actually it probably wouldn't be my top ten...this classical music's alright....I should try it some time..."

And then someone asked me what my top ten films were, and of course, "You, the Public" has already had his say and chosen:

Star Wars / The Empire Strikes Back (1977/80) - George Lucas / Irvin Kershner
The Godfather / The Godfather Part II (1972/74) - Francis Ford Coppola
The Shawshank Redemption (1994) - Frank Darabont
Pulp Fiction (1994) - Quentin Tarantino
Some Like It Hot (1959) - Billy Wilder
Gladiator (2000) - Ridley Scott
It's a Wonderful Life (1946) - Frank Capra
Blade Runner (1982) - Ridley Scott
Schindler's List (1993) - Steven Spielberg
Goodfellas (1990) - Martin Scorsese

Could've been worse. Here are mine. What are yours?

1. Billy Elliot
2. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
3. Shrek (or Shrek 2. Both were surprisingly good.)
4. Pirates of the Caribbean
5. Apocalypse Now (just for the beginning.)
6. Some Like it Hot
7. The Motorcycle Diaries
8. Dr Strangelove
9. Boys Don't Cry (not exactly fun, but extremely good.)
10. Kind Hearts and Coronets

Although, that said, I have about ten more vying for the eleventh place, maybe higher. They include "You, the Public's" "Shawshank Redemption" and "The Big Lebowski", which was probably on after "You the Public's" bedtime.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Pirates of the Caribbean? Shame on you!

4:07 pm  
Blogger RLS said...

Aw, it's a great film! Trouble is I keep thinking of others I should have included, like "American Beauty", which are somewhat more worthy contenders (althouhg "Boys don't Cry" is my token "worthy" film, jut to show you I do have a conscience.) I'm no good at things like that. And song-wise I have a list of about 25 now that should have been Top Ten contenders. The only thing to recommend them is that they aren't rated highly by "You, the Public".

10:46 am  
Blogger Greg said...

Seven Samurai, Casablanca, The Searchers, M, Vertigo, The Maltese Falcon, Duck Soup, Dr Strangelove, Withnail and I, and then it gets murky.

Lawrence of Arabia? The Silence of the Lambs? Star Wars? Cinema Paradiso? Beauty and the Beast? The Princess Bride? When Harry Met Sally? Strangers on a Train? La Grande Illusion? The Exorcist?

How do you choose?

8:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home