Sunday, January 22, 2006

According to the News of the World, Mark Oaten, that delightful Lib Dem MP who pulled out of the leadership race ostensibly on account of the fact that he didn't have enough support from his fellow MPs, has recently been having an affair with a rent boy. How the News of the World came by this juicy piece of gossip I don't know, though I would be interested to find out if said rent boy was dressed as an Arab at the time of their encounters.

Not that I am one to care about piffling z-list celebrities like Mr Oaten, having met that great luminary of football, Dean Windass, on Saturday. (Er, he plays for Bradford City... so he's a luminary in the North... some of the North... the West Riding, anyway... well, ok, Bradford and Cleckheaton etc... among those who like football...some of those who like football... maybe). I tasted celebrity yesterday as VIP guest of Yeovil football club for the Yeovil-Bradford match, and during my three-course complimentary pre-game lunch I decided to part with a not-insubstantial sum of money, as I am told is fitting when one is a VIP, by betting that Dean Windass would score the first goal. As it happens he scored the only goal, and won me £35 in the process. I thanked him in the bar later, offered to buy him a drink and asked him to sign my programme. He sort of grunted at me, asked if I was a Yeovil fan (I don't think anyone has ever insulted me quite that much before) and sort of scribbled indecipherably on my programme before buggering off to grunt at someone else.

6 Comments:

Blogger Peter D. Williams said...

My second cousin bet me £5 quid on Saturday night that Mark Oaten would win, and said that he had juicy gossip on him because he had a friend who was sleeping with Oaten's girlfriend at the same time as he was back in the 80's...

Then Sunday morning came, and I found that "juicy gossip" rather ironic, as the "News of the World" (an argument, in and of itself, if there ever can be, against freedom of the press) blew it out of the water...

Poor guy, I feel really sorry for him and his family, his actions notwithsanding - how many normal people have done things like that, and it's all under cover. Tabloid expolitation is just hypocrisy from the sordid headline onwards.

The Lib Dems are really going to need the help it would appear... My vote's for Simon Hughes - a Christian and a good guy - and so far to the Left he'll make them unelectable... Hmm.

Pax tecum,

Peter
X + :)

1:22 am  
Blogger Peter D. Williams said...

Oh, incidentally, Mark Oaten was my area's district councillor in his earlier years...!

Small world.

1:23 am  
Blogger RLS said...

I've met Simon Hughes, he seems a thoroughly nice bloke. He's fairly left wing, I suppose, but hardly in the Red Ken sense (but then, few are.) It's true about Mark Oaten - the rest of us get away with all sorts of things, but if you make a mistake as an MP you're screwed (if you'll excuse the pun...)

Do you think the Lib Dems need anyone to make them unelectable? They seem to be doing ok as they are!

9:55 am  
Blogger Rachel said...

You ist tagged!

11:05 am  
Blogger Rachel said...

Note my worthy contribution to the discussion

;)

11:15 am  
Blogger RLS said...

worthy contribution noted :-)

1:28 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home