Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Predictably, I am now the proud owner of:

"Put it on again" - Genesis
"Whiskey in the Jar" - Dubliners
Best of Emerson, Lake and Palmer
"Love Songs" - Beach Boys
"There but for fortune" - Joan Baez
St Trinians Box Set
something obscure but cultural by Borodin that had the word "Dances" in it.

Oh, what a cool person I am.

I am concerned that working in an art college has rubbed off on me, because this year, I was impressed by the Turner Prize. I wasn't impressed by the ugly shed that became an ugly boat before going back to be an ugly shed. I don't care how skilled a carpenter one has to be to do it, the point is, one has to be that: a carpenter. I have to be a skilled adviser to adviser someone who speaks no English that no, they really can't work illegally while pretending to be on a course. If I filmed it, would that make it art? I expect so. I also wasn't impressed by Carnegie's Black Square paintings, or her pictures of arses (although I think the judges termed them "The Female Nude", but they were still arses, and not as good as Yoko Ono's filmed "Bottoms" 40 years ago either). I was, however, rather excited by Jim Lambie's Kinks-inspired (and probably something-else-inspired too) swirly floors and shiny stuff, and would have personally awarded the cash to Darren Almond (who I keep wanting to call Marc Almond...) whose installation was all about the life of his Blackpool granny. Good for Darren.

It's on until 22nd, and just about worth the fiver it costs to get in.

Oh, Happy New Year, by the way.

1 Comments:

Blogger RLS said...

SLR,

Thank you, you are absolutely right! I should have more confidence in my musical tastes :-)

Px

10:02 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home