Sunday, November 13, 2005

I have had a nice weekend, mainly because a substantial part of it was divided between a jacuzzi and a coffee bar. This was marred slightly by My Catholic's having taken it upon herself to reform the Guy's CathSoc, of which she is not a member, not being a member of the Union of which it was a part. Apparently the Catholic lay chaplain is bordering on the heretical and has isolated and "driven out" the mantilla-wearing fanatical nutbars that are Guy's Cathsoc. No great loss, I would argue. Anyway, their new aim appears to be to drive out Joan, on the basis that she isn't a bloke in a dress and doesn't think non-Catholics should be burned at the stake. On the upside, My Catholic claims that God isn't speaking to her at the moment, and as a result He has rather gone up in my estimation.

I don't have any news as such, perhaps because I don't have a life as such. Friday was good, though, with the early part spent drinking decaf with soya milk (coffee shops are not really designed for migraine-suffers) with my boss accompanied by the dulcet tones of Jeff Buckley and Sarah McLachlan in a branch of Starbucks that felt a bit like someone's living room. The second part was spent listening to Mark Thomas, who has come out with such gems as:

"I am not a cynic, but a realist: when I was six, my mother said to me "every time you tell a lie, a fairy dies". I replied "fine, show me the bodies."

and

"How does Al Quaeda recruit? Do they infiltrate the Samaritans? "I want to kill myself." "Great! Do you have your own rucksack?"

If you haven't seen Mark Thomas live, I would highly recommend it, particularly if, like us, you can wangle the best seats for free.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe...

9:19 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah. I wondered what Julie was up to these days. She clearly has liturgical taste, though.

AHA

1:56 pm  
Blogger RLS said...

She is training to be a teacher in Roehampton. Very cool to see her again! :-)

3:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

there we go, and I was thinking that nomoresports might be a campaign against football...

2:56 pm  
Blogger Peter D. Williams said...

Hmm. Fair and balanced reporting as ever then Polly? :)

Peace be with you,

Peter
X + :)

9:31 pm  
Blogger RLS said...

Yeah. I should've become a journalist :-)

How are you?

7:58 pm  
Blogger RLS said...

Actually do enlighten me as to where I am inbalanced (from a literary point of view, that is). I rely on unreliable sources a lot of the time, so feel free to correct me! :-)
Px

12:49 pm  
Blogger Peter D. Williams said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:46 pm  
Blogger Peter D. Williams said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:46 pm  
Blogger Peter D. Williams said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:46 pm  
Blogger Peter D. Williams said...

Well, whilst I haven't directly spoken to 'Your Catholic' about this, I do know, over the large furore' that came about over this very issue (which included - for reasons that pass understanding - Dean-Don't-Call-Me-Dick getting involved) that Joan basically said that the KCL Medical School (it's no longer called Guy's) CathSoc could have certain speakers come in, and then arbitrarily refused permission.

She also got pissed off because the CathSoc members, who are theologically orthodox - not 'mantilla-wearing fanatical nutbars' as you so charitably labelled them - invited in speakers, and Priests to do Mass, who are, well, theologically orthodox.

Unlike Joan, who isn't, and who got a Priest to come in to give Mass who actually made stuff up during the Mass!

So, the King's CathSoc (of which I am Treasurer) disbanded the KCLMS CathSoc so that they would go and so what they want to do, rather be beholden to Joan, who, by bl,ocking what they want to do (despite the fact it's THEIR society, and not her's), and imposed thiongs that they didn't want to do, has acted in a very unreasonable, and dictatorial way.

It's all generally gone FUBAR because Joan went and got the Archbishop of Southolk (yes, I know, how ridiculous) and the Dean, who is her friend, involved, by complaining that her authority was being challenged.

"On the upside, My Catholic claims that God isn't speaking to her at the moment, and as a result He has rather gone up in my estimation."

Er, well now that's rather unkind to say the least, isn't it?

Anyway, I'm very well thank you! Lot's of work and essays... And yourself?

All my love, take care and God bless you,

Peter
X + :)

8:52 pm  
Blogger RLS said...

"Er, well now that's rather unkind to say the least, isn't it?"

Yes, it was rather. It also wasn't a serious point. But apologies anyway.

As for the mantilla-wearing nutbars, well, I have admitted my musical tastes on this forum, so I'm not exactly sane myself.

At least Guy's has a Catholic Chaplain, which is more than is provided by many universities and colleges (we haven't got one where I work and we have 24,000 students!)

Hope your Christmas preparations are going well.
xx

10:33 am  
Blogger John said...

ugg boots
coach outlet online
louis vuitton bags
nike air max
ray ban outlet
coach outlet
nike roshe run
michael kors outlet
replica watches for sale
michael kors outlet
canada goose outlet
mulberry handbags
north face uk
jordans
ralph lauren outlet
coach factory outlet
nike running shoes
louis vuitton bags
christian louboutin
cheap oakley sunglasses
gucci outlet
michael kors handbags
cheap jordans
coach outlet store online
ugg outlet store
coach factory outlet
ugg outlet
michael kors handbags
uggs on sale
cheap soccer shoes
cheap ugg boots
michael kors outlet
jordans for sale
mont blanc pens
tory burch sale
20151224yuanyuan

5:55 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

fitflop shoes
fitflop sale
Nike Air Huarache
Nike Huarache Nm
christian louboutin
louboutin outlet
cheap jordans for sale
Air Jordan 11 Retro 72 10
Jordan 5 fire red
Jordan 11 Concord
coach outlet stores
coach store
michael kors bags
2015 michael kors outlet
Michael Kors Factory Outlet
michael kors jet set tote
michael kors sale
michael kors tote
jordan retro 13
air jordan
nike hyperdunk 2015
lebron james shoes
nike air max 2016
cheap nike air max
nike free run womens
nike free 3.0
Red Bottom Shoes
Red Bottom Shoes For Women
mbt shoes outlet
discount mbt Shoes

6:19 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

jianbin0228
ralph lauren polo
coach factory outlet
oakley sunglasses
tiffany jewellery
michael kors outlet
ralph lauren polo
iphone case
polo outlet
louis vuitton outlet
burberry outlet

8:25 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home