Monday, October 09, 2006

We Three Singhs of Manningham Are

Strange weekend, helped along (I think, though I can't quite remember) by vast quantities of alcohol. Indeed it was in the pub that Lisa (my colleague and Fantasy Football partner) and I heard this bizarre conversation, between two women in next-door toilet cubicles:

Woman 1: "So, Andrew isn't coming then?"
Woman 2: "No." Pause. Musingly: "Well, I suppose if you've just had blue dye injected into your testicles you probably don't feel like a night out, do you?"

I suppose you wouldn't, really. What was even funnier was that she spoke as though this was what Andrew generally got up to on a Friday afternoon.

Excessively hungover after aforementioned night out I am proud to say I was on a train by 8.30 next morning cruising my way up to Bradford to watch the weekend's sporting highlight: Bradford City v the Mighty Huddersfield. What a match. It really does take a special skill to miss quite as many open goals as we did. What's more, when the Mighty H scored (a few minutes into the first half) the ball sort of pootled almost accidentally into the goal, right in front of our goalie and two seemingly uninterested defenders who watched it with Eeyore-like cynicism as if to say "Ah, well. There It Is. What did you expect?" Things were brightened up considerably when a streaker appeared on the pitch and three huge security staff leapt on him all at once (and slightly unnecessarily in my view.) It was the only decent tackle of the whole game. I did learn as a result of this match, however, that the Three Singhs (no, I don't know either) are "proud sponsors" of Dean Windass - yes, that's Dean Windass who kneed a guy in the bollocks a few weeks back, only for the other guy to be sent off for punching him back. I'd be proud to sponsor him, too...

All this, incidentally, was in aid of my dad's birthday, and not just some desire to watch a second-rate team thrash a third-rate one, and we all went out for fish and chips afterwards. If I could figure out how to put pictures on this thing I would share with you the image of my dad's "birthday cake", a jumbo haddock with two candles stuck in it, surrounded by chips and mushy peas.

The book looks good, (though there's a certain School Reading Scheme look about it) and I'm pleasantly surprised that I'm able to report I've even sold some (thanks to whichever ten of you that was...) I hope someone will post a review up at some point. In the meantime, can anyone think of any great marketing ploys?

Back to the visa extension forms... have a good week!

Px

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home