Sunday, August 28, 2005

Pogue Mahone (The only bit of Gaelic I know...)

My mother has this strange misconception that somehow getting up at the crack of dawn in order to set off on holiday makes the holiday all the more exciting. It doesn't. It just makes you tired. Added to this my mother has made it her aim in life to find something wrong with absolutely anything: the airport is ugly; you can't get coffee on Ryanair unless you pay extra; Dublin is ugly.

Actually, Bristol Airport looks like it has come flatpacked from Ikea in a job lot with Exeter and Guernsey and all those other small airports which have suddenly become "International" airports, which means they fly to Ireland and Alicante as well as Aberdeen and Manchester, and Ryanair is literally "no-frills": you don't even get a complimentary sick bag.

As for Ireland, I think my mother expected it to be all green rolling hills and crofts populated by fiddle-playing, potato-eating leprechauns who say things like "top of the morning to you." (These people, incidentally, take leprechauns rather too seriously.) Instead we are flying over flat countryside smattered with what seems like a disproportionate number of graveyards. As for Dublin, it is jammed bumper to bumper with traffic and seems to be largely populated by short, elderly nuns and drunk English tourists on stag weekends, though it also apparently has a sizeable ethnic population that surprises my mother so much that she feels it necessary to point to every Chinese restaurant and express her amazement. What's more, while we're out shopping, one of these happy little Irish folk nicked our hubcaps.

My family originated in Moutmellick, which is in County Laois, but they came over to the UK early in the twentieth century to work in Bradford. This depresses me: Mountmellick is a small town and living there would drive me to distraction, but I don't think Bradford in the 1900s would have been much of an improvement. But I get the impression they were fairly desperate. Wandering round the cemetery in search of ancestors (yes, this is the way I spend my holidays: picking my way through gravestones while the rest of you sun yourselves in the Mediterranean), I realised I was walking on hundreds of unmarked graves. A cheerful "Irish Heritage" signpost tells us that during the potato famines so many died that they were not given proper burials, just thrown into a pit. The sign can only guess how many bodies are there, and it reckons around 300. Mountmellick has a population of 3000, and we only visited the Catholic cemetery. My relatives are also anonymous: wooden crosses don't last long and the only people you can still find from that era are the rich ones who could afford huge stone angels on pedestals.

I haven't been to Galway before and as we have no known family from there I don't have to spend my introduction to it walking over dead people. Instead I go for a wander round the town and bizarrely cross paths with a double decker bus that seems to be populated by men in dresses and bears the proud (if slightly apologetic) slogan "Galway Gay Pride", and by the looks of it all 30 or so of Galway's gay community seem to have turned out for it. On the other side of the road a group of evangelical God-botherers have hoisted up their own banner, which is much larger and more professional, and are singing to them. The vast majority of people are walking past seemingly oblivious to the presence of either.

Galway is nice, I particularly recommend the Cathedral, where I bought a rosary of shamrock-shaped beads for My Catholic, but I am aware that most of you are not interested in Cathedrals and will have been somewhere rather more interesting than the West Coast of Ireland, so I will leave it at that.

I was amused, however, as our jumbo landed (with a bounce, which I'm sure isn't meant to happen) to see a car parked on the other side of the airport fence and a chap in front of it relieving himself. I wonder if he thought he'd found a nice deserted place when suddenly, mid-piss, he realized that 200 bored passengers were watching. Some of us even waved.

10 Comments:

Blogger Peter D. Williams said...

Hi Polly,

How are you?

Yep, that's the only bit of Gaelic I know as well - thankfully the occasion to use it doesn't come up to often...

Hope everything's going groovily!

Pax tecum,

Peter
X + :)

11:22 pm  
Blogger Peter D. Williams said...

Sorry, that was meant to be 'TOO often...'

Butter-fingers...

11:23 pm  
Blogger RLS said...

No, I found that. It comes up about as often as you find the need to see "le livre est sous la table" in French, but we had that drummed into us as though it was just the sort of thing the hapless tourist would need.

I'm good, thanks!

Px

1:26 pm  
Blogger Peter D. Williams said...

Here's a useful french phrase for you:

"Dans la jardin, le sange est dans l'arbres!"

Use it all the time, great stuff.

"Your Catholic" will appreciate that.

:)

Pax tecum,

The Cavalier

9:34 pm  
Blogger RLS said...

Ah, yes. I always found that particularly handy whilst trying to negotiate my way around Paris. :-)

11:39 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting! My family are from Mountmellick and some of them moved to Bradford in the 40's. Fortunately my mother moved to London - otherwise I might be a Norvernor!!

We never talked about the Bradford part of the family though because they were "a bad lot!"

Nice blog.
I've often visited the graveyard in Mountmellick - and my sister still lives there (Mountmellick - not the graveyard! although she does live on the same road.)

BTW - you may know this, but the Liechtenstein anthem has the same music as the British anthem!

BTW2 - spooky, I work in Camden as well (the posh end)

11:02 am  
Blogger RLS said...

Hmm. I live in Camden - the scruffy end.

Am also a Norvener. Bradford's not so bad, at a distance. When you live in London, you can feel nostalgic about it.

Nice to meet you.
Px

10:27 am  
Blogger The Omniscient Observer said...

The phrase is spelled "Póg mo thóin" and roughly translates as "kiss my ass".

A slightly more useful phrase is "Dia duit, XXX is ainm dom" where XXX is your name.

I grew up in Mountmellick but dont live there at the minute. It has really taken off in the past few years. see http://www.mountmellick.net/

visit my blog at http://www.theomniscientobserver.blogspot.com/

Slán (goodbye)

10:54 pm  
Blogger chenlili said...

chenlili20160427
tory burch handbags
polo ralph kids
kobe 11
louis vuitton outlet stores
nike air max 90
michael kors outlet
toms shoes
designer handbags
supra shoes
coach factory outlet
oakley sunglasses outlet
nike roshe one
adidas running shoes
toms shoes
kevin durant shoes 7
nike uk
coach outlet
michael kors purses
coach outlet
coach outlet
michael kors outlet online
cheap air jordans
christian louboutin outlet
michael kors uk
fitflop shoes
coach outlet
jordan 3s
asics outlet
ray ban outlet
retro 11
rolex watches
louboutin shoes
michael kors handbags
michael kors bags
oakley sunglasses
nike store

1:40 am  
Blogger 5689 said...

zzzzz2018.11.17
jordan 4
ralph lauren polo
coach outlet
champion clothing
canada goose jacket
moncler jackets
coach outlet
tory burch outlet
nike shoes
coach factory outlet

4:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home