Wednesday, July 20, 2005

It's a kind of magic

Well, all I can say is it wasn't like that when I was a teenager. Apparently it's now cool for a fourteen-year-old to be able to tell a television crew you've been sitting outside a bookshop for the last eighteen hours. Dressed as a witch. And now you are going to go home and read all night. Wild. In my day she'd've been slumped outside the local petrol station with a couple of her mates and an empty bottle of White Lightening, not sitting outside Waterstones with her mum. What is the world coming to? See what you're doing to our kids JK? Hmm?

And I now know who dies. I've not read it, but I had a flick through it in Borders. And no, it still isn't Hagrid. Apparently when she killed off Sirius in the last book she cried. Which seems a bit daft when she's the author. I presume there wasn't some bloke holding a knife to her throat saying "kill him off or else"? Oh, well. I assume her tears subsided once she looked at her bank balance. Kill 'em all off. They won't be expecting that. Make the Hogwarts Express the target of a vicious terrorist attack by, oh, I don't know, the Christian Voice? They think you're corrupting good Christian kids with the evils of the Occult (er..right, then.) Go on. I dare you.

OK, OK, I am going to read it at some point. But really...18 hours?

9 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Heh. Guess you don't want to know what we got up to on the night of the 15th then?

10:54 pm  
Blogger Peter D. Williams said...

Well, it was either queueing for the new Harry Potter book, or "slumped outside the local petrol station with a couple of your mates and an empty bottle of White Lightening" - or, surely 'White Lightning'?

I really don't get the Potter craze! It's just not that grabbing a story to be perfectly honest. I'm glad it gets kids reading (being an English student and avid Bibliophile), but surely they could be reading something more worthwhile...?

I agree with G.M. Trevelyan, who remarked on the irony of having a nation of people who (generally speaking) have the ability to read, but little to no discernment about what is worth reading.

Which presumably, explains the readership levels of the 'Sun'.

Wow, I'm a bit grumpy.

Anyhoo, hope everything's groovy in London!

Take care and God bless, peace be with you, all my love,

Peter
X + :)

11:46 pm  
Blogger Peter D. Williams said...

BTW, on the whole Christian debate about whether the Harry Potter books are good or bad (that is, occult), Dave Armstrong has a very good, fair-minded section on that issue, and a good blog-post on it at - http://socrates58.blogspot.com/ - if you're interested!

Pax tecum,

The Cavalier

(P.S. Do comment on my new blog post if you have the time!)

12:07 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I prefer what Mr Chick has to say on HP, but i agree, 18 hours is excessive, we can't have been there for more than 13...

8:08 am  
Blogger Rachel said...

To me it's just nice for so many different people to be all caught up and enthusiastic about a story. All different ages and different levels of intelligence.

For me a good book isn't ALWAYS in the writing - it's in the story. If a story grabs me, I'll enjoy it. I get great enjoyment out of reading Dickens for the same reason - although I'm sure most would class him as a better writer overall the Rowling.

It's a whole different thing to reading something like the Sun newspaper - although I suppose it is just as fictional.

10:20 am  
Blogger RLS said...

Peter,

I did an English degree, you can't expect me to be able to spell!!

This website http://www.whitelightningco.com/ made me laugh though. It probably tastes better than the cider.

1:42 pm  
Blogger Greg said...

Though the Dickens analogy is a fine one, Rachel, because people used to wait up for his latest book - or bit of book - to be published.

He was definitely the great popular author of his day, and in some respects Rowling is an heir of his.

12:00 am  
Blogger John said...

ugg boots
coach outlet online
louis vuitton bags
nike air max
ray ban outlet
coach outlet
nike roshe run
michael kors outlet
replica watches for sale
michael kors outlet
canada goose outlet
mulberry handbags
north face uk
jordans
ralph lauren outlet
coach factory outlet
nike running shoes
louis vuitton bags
christian louboutin
cheap oakley sunglasses
gucci outlet
michael kors handbags
cheap jordans
coach outlet store online
ugg outlet store
coach factory outlet
ugg outlet
michael kors handbags
uggs on sale
cheap soccer shoes
cheap ugg boots
michael kors outlet
jordans for sale
mont blanc pens
tory burch sale
20151224yuanyuan

5:55 am  
Blogger John said...

uggs outlet
christian louboutin outlet
rolex replica watches
nike cortez classic
salvatore ferragamo shoes
cheap ray ban sunglasses
nike uk
cheap oakley sunglasses
ugg pas cher
louis vuitton purse
hejiexia20161103

8:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home