Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Love Will Tear Us Apart

It doesn't say much about me really that the thing that initially attracted me to this programme was the Joy Division soundtrack that I came across while channel hopping. The gist is the same as usual - lots of santimonious people prophesizing doom for the Anglican Church if it lets its vicars get married - sorry, enter into Civil Partnerships - because it says so "very clearly" in Leviticus (the bit that doesn't talk about not eating seafood, wearing more than one type of material at any given time, and sacrificing doves after your period.) In the meantime, Richard Chartres, the Bishop of London who looks a bit like John Peel, threw all his toys out of the pram and sacked a vicar for being honest about his sexuality (hmm, telling the truth clearly an alien concept in the Anglican Church). Two things irritate me about all this. (Actually, a lot of things irritate me about this, but I'll stick to two for now.) The first is that it says a lot of things in the Bible, and I would think that, given the state of our world at the moment, dog-collared blokes engaging in a bit of bum sex is the least of our worries. Apparently this is "a fundamental issue". At least, it is according to the two old men who appeared periodically throughout the programme forecasting destruction and plunges into the fires of hell etc, who looked a bit like characters from a Two Ronnies sketch, but I can think of some far more fundamental issues we should be contending with at the moment. Off the top of my head, there's that little skirmish that's been going on in Iraq for the past couple of years, not to mention the threat of a nuclear holocaust. Oh, and world hunger. But I guess we should really put all that on hold while we all have a go at the "gays". The second thing I find a bit odd is this doom-and-gloom, oh-no-the-church-might-split-what-on-earth-will-become-of-it melodrama. Now, it's not like the church hasn't split before, is it? In fact, you lot whining on about this only came to exist in the first place because a fat bloke wanted a divorce and had a bit of a barney with the Pope over it. Now I like to think we've moved on s bit since the 16th century so I'm not advocating a good old rape and pillage and general destruction of St Michael's Camden or All Souls Langham Place (depending on which side you're on, and at any rate I think you'd get in a fair bit of trouble with English Heritage these days as most of those building are listed), but if the church does split, is it really the end of the world? No. No, it isn't, is it? Now I believe it was Homelessness Sunday this week, so grow up, get up off your arses and do something useful. Or, dare I say it, Christian.

Thank you.

Talking of religion, I have just stumbled across this on the BBC website and can't quite understand why You, The Public have voted Thomas a Becket your second Most Hated Briton. After Jack the Ripper. Not much comparison, really. Actually, I'm amazed You, the Public have even heard of him, and that might be the explanation. Maybe You thought You were voting for David Beckham. Either way, I can think of a few other historical figures who are probably more worthy of your dislike than him. Henry VIII, for example. General Haig? Oswald Mosely? Enoch Powell? Or, dare I say, Thatcher?

***

I came across a job today which I almost applied for. Then I noticed that, in amongst the blurb about how "you will be an ambassador for the university, and should maintain its high standards and reputation at all times" they had consistently spelt "its" incorrectly.

5 Comments:

Blogger Peter D. Williams said...

Hi Polly!

"Actually, I'm amazed You, the Public have even heard of him, and that might be the explanation. Maybe You thought You were voting for David Beckham."

LOL

I would vote for Henry VIII - for obvious reasons. Second would come John Lennon, because I find him profoundly irritating.

Enoch Powell was actually quite a good bloke who made a very silly senationalist speech (which nevertheless had elements of truth very much hidden in it).

And I don't think we'll ever agree about Thatcher, Polly. You're from the grim 'up North' (that's anywhere beyond St. Albans), and I'm a "Southern poof".

As for the importance of the Homosexuality debate - one might argue that it's important insofar as it reflects a deeper debate in the Anglican communion - does the Word of God (the injunctions against same-sex relations being in the New Testament as well as Leviticus) matter, or not?

If not, then neither does the Gospel.

If it does, then the answer to the issue is the same conservative morality that the Catholic and Orthodox (and yes, some Evangelical) churches have affirmed consistently.

This is all due to the fact that the Anglican church doesn't seem to care a great deal about Orthodoxy, and this is also because it has no ecclesial authority to define what the orthodox teaching of the Gospel is. It separated itself from that authority during the Reformation, and is now lost in a chaos of competing doctrinal positions.

It's been a long time coming, but I'm afraid I see schism just around the corner.

It's interesting to note however, that in this doctrinal competition, the 'liberal' Churches are the ones in the Anglican communion that are dying out, and the conservative churches (mostly Evangelical since the majority of conservative Anglo-Catholics defected back home to our side of the Tiber) are the ones that are booming. For example, Holy Trinity Brompton (on the Ecumenical Arminian side - yay!) and St. Helen's Bishopsgate (on the conservative Evangelical Calvinist side - hmm.)

Either way, I think that this is really a 'big issue' because the media makes it a big issue. This being, of course, because they reflect our society - shallow, sex-obsessed and unable to see the spiritual (and therefore theological) forest, for the trees.

I know few Christians who spend a great deal of time thinking about Homosexuality, so I think it's somewhat odd to a lot of people that it seems to be so focussed on.

Anyhoo, take care and God bless you!

Grace and peace be with you always,

Peter
X + :)

2:12 pm  
Blogger Peter D. Williams said...

P.S. I had meant to say that I agree with you that it doesn't really matter as much as people think that the Anglican Church will divide. Unity at the expense of truth (and let's face it, what's the point of unity if you don't agree on the truth but continually fudge the issue with compromises that no-one likes?) is useless.

If the Anglican Communion does split, at least they'll all know where they stand. And which ever is closest to the true Gospel, I am confident, will prosper, and whichever is furthest away, won't last a long time...

Pax tecum,

Peter
X + :)

2:22 pm  
Blogger RLS said...

Hiya

I have to admit I know very little about Enoch Powell, but linguistically I'm sure he is "more hated" than Becket. I can't see You the Public sitting around saying to one another "That Thomas a Becket, what a git!"

And sorry about the Thatcher thing - just a running joke, so I couldn't resist! :-)

"Either way, I think that this is really a 'big issue' because the media makes it a big issue. This being, of course, because they reflect our society - shallow, sex-obsessed and unable to see the spiritual (and therefore theological) forest, for the trees."

Good point. I guess they wouldn't devote half the column inches (or indeed any at all) to most Church issues. Even Easter usually finds it hard to get a look-in.

I still find it somewhat ironic, though, that the church was only founded in the first place so that a king could break the rules. (And, ultimately so that he could commit adultery - i.e. it all came down ot sex then, as well!)

Hope your course is going well - nearly there now!

Px

2:36 pm  
Blogger Peter D. Williams said...

"I still find it somewhat ironic, though, that the church was only founded in the first place so that a king could break the rules. (And, ultimately so that he could commit adultery - i.e. it all came down ot sex then, as well!)"

LOL No disagreement there! :)

Thanks, when this term is over, I'll have only essays to hand in and that's it! *Gasp!* Please pray I get a 2:1, at least!

Grace and peace be with you always,

All my love,

Peter
X + :)

3:12 pm  
Blogger RLS said...

I'll pray you get a 2.1, but I'll hope you get a first!

Lots of love
Px

4:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home