Monday, October 16, 2006

I'll Never Be Anybody's Hero Now

Well, I'm sure my view on the film version of The History Boys is going to be contentious because... I loved it! I don't possess that potentially snobby attitude that it can't possibly be as good on the screen because, darling, it was such a marvellous film, because apart from anything else there's no point in comparing two entirely different media. Perhaps I would have been disappointed if the script and setting had been lifted wholesale with the odd bit stripped away (I was worried about that since the film lasts less than two hours) but in fact the best lines are still there ("I'm a Jew. I'm small. I'm a homosexual and I live in Sheffield. I'm fucked.") and Alan Bennett has actually rewritten huge swathes of the script, often to great effect. This allows Rudge (the boy for whom the National audience cheered when he got one over on the headmaster by getting a place at Oxford) a brief monologue about how actually it's all bollocks and he doesn't want to go there anyway (I'm inclined to agree, though possibly out of bitterness), and, even more movingly, Lockwood (who is a more minor character in the play) goes into the army after Cambridge, and is killed by "friendly fire" in the Gulf War. To my surprise. Georgia Taylor's character was actually pretty good, and (I won't spoil it for you) the new slant she gave to the end was much more satisfying!

Other changes are, in my view, a pity, though this is largely down to personal opinion. They cut out Irwin's wonderful TV historian scene ("If you want to learn about Stalin, study Henry VIII; if you want to learn about Thatcher study Henry VIII), which means they cut out his becoming a TV historian altogether. Actually, Irwin is an altogether more likeable character in the film, which was quite refreshing, but perhaps less fun.

Still, I can't imagine why the Guardian was quite so scathing. Amongst other things they accused the language of being often unrealistic as Bennett was using stage language onscreen. 1.) Who cares? and 2.) I thought that was the whole point? Often the kids are trying to be smart arses (and largely succeeding) or actively living a sort of game (indeed, applying to Oxbridge is actually referred to as a kind of game, and having tried it myself and failed, I would say they're spot-on) and their language - I felt - reflected the sheer ridiculousness of it all. Anyway, I would highly recommend it, despite having paid £8.50 (sob - I am no longer a student) for the priviledge.

* * * *

Life is getting rather less enjoyable by the minute at the moment, and I feel as though I'm sinking into some sort of pit I can't clamber out of again. This i probably because on Saturday I had the worst migraine of my life. At least, I'm hoping that's all it was. Hypochondriac that I am, in my half-sleep state on Saturday night I was absolutely convinced that I was going to die, and dreamed about what I might put in my will. That in itself was entirely depressing as I don't have much to give away in the first place. As well as a pain in one side of my head the right-hand side of my face around my ear went numb, and I had a shooting pain all down my right arm. My head hurt so much I couldn't physically life it off the pillow. Add to this that (as I view it at the moment, anyway) my only offering to the world is a book full of typos that looks like it's been produced for Year 2 students, plus I'm living with someone who listens to Mahler and is constantly telling me I haven't put enough washing up liquid in the washing up bowl, and I am inclined to think, in the words of Kenneth Williams (yeah, classy, I know!) "What's the bloody point?"

Answers on a postcard, please :-)

5 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

At the risk of sounding like a broken record... the fact that you do have something published to leave behind is far more of an achievement than many people twice your age. You're only in your twenties - why should you have a heap of stuff to leave behind to represent your life? I barely know anyone our age who does. Fact is you have a published book that will now always exist - yes it has typos, but so what - they can be fixed.

11:12 am  
Blogger Peter D. Williams said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:17 pm  
Blogger Peter D. Williams said...

Oh, Polly, you sound so discouraged! Aw, cyber-hug!

At the risk of sounding also like a broken record - what is the point? Surely, that: "These three remain, Faith, Hope and Love. And the greatest of these is Love." (1 Corinthians 13:13)

If you have a relationship with the risen Christ, and you place all your trust in Him, then simply remember, my dear Polly, that "God works in all things, for the good of those who love Him." (Romans 8:28)

If you love, serve, and trust Christ, then at the end of the day you have always an eternity of love, so really, what else truly matters?

Grace and Peace be with you,

Peter
X + :)

11:19 pm  
Blogger RLS said...

Peter

Fair point - thanks! I was just feeling grumpy :-)

Rachel - yes, I know, I know. You're absolutely right. I think actually it's more the headaches and people wanting visas that are annoying me at the moment, and errors in the book are just an added irritation.

Talk soon
Px

9:22 am  
Blogger zzyytt said...

goyard online
air jordans
vans shoes
fila online shop
adidas yeezy boost
pg 1
adidas tubular
nike air max 2017
nike epic react flyknit
nike react flyknit

7:27 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home