Monday, September 12, 2005

We won the Ashes!!!

That's it. We won the Ashes.
Linguistically, as I kept pointing out, we couldn't "lose" the Ashes, since we didn't have them in the first place. At worst we could "not win" them.

But we did win them. We won at a game where the teams officially break for tea. How great is that?

And so ends a week of pseudo-culture. I started the week watching "The Producers", a Mel Brookes extravaganza with Nazi-saluting pigeons where you can play spot-the-Jewish-joke for the whole glorious three hours; then I went to the Proms to watch Ravel and Sibelius (well, not in person, obviously. They're dead.) We stayed over in the RAF Club in Picadilly (oh yes, I have friends in high places. No pun intended.) This is a place where you are not allowed to wear jeans down to breakfast and where you get complimentary show polish in your room, and quite frankly it made me wish I'd taken my Sex Pistols God Save the Queen T shirt with me. As a variation on a theme I spent Saturday evening standing in the middle of a field in a downpour watching a Freddie Mercury impersonator whilst surrounded by middle-class people in Union Jack hats getting drunk on Marks and Spencers sparkling wine and shouting things like "shame!" for no particular reason. I have to admit I'm not really the patriotic type. I'm not unpatriotic exactly (don't worry, I'm not going to go and bomb the crap out of the London Underground - well, clearly I'm not, because I supported England in the Ashes, and apparently that's the key) but I do think events like Proms in the Park is an open invitations for pillocks to shine. Plus we have a really quite rubbish national anthem (I assume that on all points above the Cavalier will strongly disagree, and will say so!) Yes, there's a lot to be said for lots of people standing together and feeling proud of their heritage, but this was rather a lot of people getting together and feeling proud of their intoxication and distinct lack of vocal ability. I'm not denying that £20 was fantastic value for a five-hour concert of Nicola Bernadetti (which I have probably spelt incorrectly: I don't do Classics very often), Andrea Bocelli and G4. It was a shame about the other English people. Oh, and Simply Red. That was a great shame, too. 40 minutes worth of it as well. I could have done without that.

A new National anthem would be a good idea. I am listening to "Living in an Island" by the Boomtown Rats at the moment, which is not hugely relevent, but since Bob Geldof is Irish (and Catholic, in the baptised sense, at least) I would find that a mildly ironic choice. But I hope you can think of better ones.

Night night.
Px

2 Comments:

Blogger Peter D. Williams said...

Hi Polly,

How are you?

"Proms in the Park is an open invitations for pillocks to shine..."

Well, I'd have to agree with you there, actually.

"...Plus we have a really quite rubbish national anthem"

Well, in that case so does Australia... and Liechtenstein.

There are better tunes though, it's true.

"(I assume that on all points above the Cavalier will strongly disagree, and will say so!)"

Well, if you know that I would (although actually I don't!), then my work here is done! (Yeah, right.)

:)

Peace be with you,

Peter
X + :)

P.S. These advertisement guys are really beginning to p*** me off - hopefully if we continue to delete, eventually they'll get the message.

10:37 pm  
Blogger RLS said...

Peter,

I am ashamed to say I am not acquainted with Liechtenstein's national anthem. But I will take your word for it.

"Anonymous":
I do not usually strike up conversations with Automatically Generated Adverts, so I'll keep this brief:
Thing is, Petal, while I appreciate your sentiment, I know everyone who reads this blog (all six of them) and I can't think of anyone who might be interested in "online currency trading" (except possibly Peter, and you've already invaded his blog.)

Px

9:25 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home