Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Margaret Thatcher has made a big impact on the current Conservative leadership contest. Apparently:

"Lady Thatcher, who endorsed William Hague in 1997 and Iain Duncan Smith in 2001, has no plans publicly to support anyone this time."

Hmm. Because both of them went down a treat.

She is 80 on Thursday.

She'll be dead soon.

This article appeared in "The Onion" in 1998, so I'm sure most of you have een it before. If you haven't, here's a short extract:

"VATICAN CITY—In a historic reversal of its nearly 2,000-year-old pro-meek stance, the Catholic Church announced Tuesday that it is permanently rescinding the traditional "blessed" status of the world's meek.
"Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ once said, 'Blessed are the meek,'" said Pope John Paul II in a papal bull read before the College of Cardinals. "However, there has always been a tacit understanding between the Church and the meek that this 'blessed' status was conditional upon their inheritance of the earth, an event which seems unlikely to happen anytime in the foreseeable future. Our relationship, therefore, must be terminated."

"Screw the meek," the pope added."

Worrying thing is, I seem to be coming across more and more Christians who have the same attitude for real.

This new Racial and Religious Hatred Bill looks a bit rubbish. Apparently it is meant to protect people who hold certain views related to their faith. According to some bloke on the Today Programme (who I'm sure is very important, but I wasn't interested enough to remember his name) it will protect people from holding certain views but we can still disapprove and condemn those views. So taken to its logical conclusion, Christian Voice's nutbar spokesperson Stephen Green will be allowed to go around saying the Police Force is evil for going on gay pride marches, and gay people are solely responsible for any degredation of British Society, and, though he will not be arrested under any kind of "incitement of homophobia" clause we can nevertheless rest assured that we can say "tut, tut, I really don't agree with that opinion."
John Humphreys did ask the bloke whose name I can't remember what would happen if someone was inciting terrorism from a faith standpoint. Would he be protected under this Bill, or arrested and detained at Paddington Green for inciting terrorism? The bloke said the question was irrelevent. That is, he didn't know the answer.

8 Comments:

Blogger RLS said...

Italian charm bracelets. Hmm. Was just thinking I could do with some Italian Charm bracelets.

Incidentally, are you the same anonymous that will also give me a loan and fly me to Disney World?

Thought so.

10:09 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had no idea you were such a keen garden gardener Pol, I always thought you were more of a kitchen gardener. Myself, I like bathroom gardening... although that sounds kind of dirty...

9:50 am  
Blogger RLS said...

Hmm. Haven't figured out how to delete those posts. Can you enlighten me?

10:53 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dunno - I use haloscan, not blogger comments - so I don't know how these ones work

2:34 pm  
Blogger Peter D. Williams said...

Hi Polly!

Just quickly, I'll let you know: To delete, just type in your Usename and Password in the "Choose an identity" section above, and then click the little 'bin' button in the bottom left hand corner of any post you want to delete!

All my love, take care and God bless you,

Peter
X + :)

3:31 pm  
Blogger RLS said...

Peter - you're a genius!
I knew I'd seen the bin icons before but I've never wanted to use them before!
Fancy coming along to the next Newman House quiz?
Talk soon
Px

5:48 pm  
Blogger Peter D. Williams said...

You're very welcome!

Newman House quiz - sounds great!

You don't have my number do you? Ask 'Your Catholic' for it, and I'm sure she'll supply you.

Obviously 'cause I'd just as soon not communicate such info over the net, especially given the wigging I got from the Tolkien fiend long ago! :)

All my love, take care and God bless you,

Peter
X + :)

10:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home