Monday, March 06, 2006

Life Is Beautiful

And this is why. Ok, so the world is a bit rubbish. Actually, the world is quite a lot rubbish. But I feel that there's at least a glimmer of hope for it when an animation of a Northern, cheese-eating man and his long-suffering dog made out of plasticine can win an Oscar. Hurrah for Wallace and Gromit!

And as an aside, Hurrah for Brokeback Mountain as well.

Life is beautiful. My flat is now Mouse-free, Mouse And Friends presumably having legged it when they saw F drowning their compatriots. On top of which, I have spent the weekend surrounded by wonderful people and glorious sunshine. It's the best time of year: post-dark, miserable mornings and pre-Hay Fever season. If I knew how to write soppy, sentimental and OTT drivel of the Wandering Lonely As a Cloud variety I would do so now. But fortunately for you blog-readers, I don't, so, in a nutshell, my weekend consisted of:

Playing cricket (well, "playing" in the loosest sense of the word. For a start, we had no bails and were playing with a tennis ball, and I am not too hot on the whole catching/batting/throwing elements, and that leaves only running, which I can do fairly acceptably.) In the process I have discovered muscles I clearly never use, and my legs are still aching just above my knees.

Eating copious amounts of food. Unfortunately, every single meal contained cheese, and the alternative was that wonderful cop-out of all veggie/vegan options, peppers stuffed with cous cous. As one of my mates put it, life is too short to stuff peppers.

Going to Church with the Queen. Actually, not with the Queen, she being graciously separate from the rest of us. The service was Mattins, which has always seemed to me a somewhat pointless service on the basis that nothing very much happens, and on top of that it was all lifted wholesale from the Book of Common Prayer where instead of committing sins or generally screwing things up we "err and stray from thy ways like lost sheep," whilst singing endless chants that don't do what you expect them to do. The Queen didn't even come and say hello, which I thought was the least she could do given that we'd started the service asking God to save her and send her victorious and all that mallarkey, but maybe she's learned over the years to sense when there are Republicans present, (two of us, I think, whose polite protest extended only as far as the wearing of trousers) and thought better of it.

Getting a lift back to London, accompanied by the dulcet strains of the Kaiser Chiefs, which was fun, as I got to see bits of London you don't see from the train, added to which I managed to ward off feeling travel sick until I got to Kensington, after which it didn't really matter much.

Dragged my guitar-laden self back to my beloved Camden, which was as ever awash with slightly odd people, then spent the evening playing scrabble with an ex-paratrooper who looked like Billy Connelly even down to the pink beard. I beat him, on account of getting "quotas" on a triple word score. Ah, how exciting is my life!

Apparently 9 out of 10 students believe they are unconventional. I think I am the tenth, in that I have come to terms with my conventionalness and am quite comfortable with it. Which I think makes me fairly unconventional.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home