Sunday, March 28, 2010

Anywhere

I've decided I want to go to Hamburg. I shared this with my husband in the car on the way to Kent to spend a weekend tearing down my sister-in-law's dining room wallpaper. He seemed a little non-plussed, despite his constant protestations over the years that we should go to Germany, on account of the fact that he did GCSE German and therefore knows how to say really useful things like "Where is my guinea pig?" and "There are four sausages in my cupboard." I don't know why I want to go to Hamburg. My reply to that question would be: "Why not?"

Actually I have a very roundabout logic that I think only works in my own fair head. It goes something like:

- I am meant to be revising for an exam, and am thus allowing my mind to wander onto anything that doesn't involve Heresies, definitions of religion and spurious ways to get football into my answers. And one such thing is...
- I want to GO SOMEWHERE! Having just come back from Somewhere Else, I already have the urge to run away from all the things I've come back to. From, in no partcular order, web stalkers, work, exams, general creeping anxiety and worry.
- There is not a chance in hell I'm getting on a plane for 13 hours EVER AGAIN.
- I have the Beautiful South song "Rotterdam" on my iPod and thus in my head. Always. Incessantly. It's just one of those songs.
- Ooh, and talking of Rotterdam, I'd quite like to go to Rotterdam.
- Yeah. That would be good. I've never been there. Nice.
- Enter The Husband, with something like "Why do you want to go to Rotterdam?" followed shortly by "is it because of that annoying song?" (I have to admit to - and possibly make apologies for - having a certain fondness for the Beautiful South, having seen them perform a late-evening set at an unusually un-muddy Glastonbury years ago. That's my excuse, anyway, and I'm prepared to stick to it...)
- Patiently explain, um, well, you see, that gave me the inspiration, you know, the song, and seeing as we've already been to both Liverpool and Rome, also mentioned, that leaves...
- Him: "I'd rather go to Anywhere."
- Hmm. What might constitute "anywhere?" Well Hamburg's a port and it's kind of only just on the other side of the border... roughly speaking...and of course there's the Beatles connection...
- Bingo! I want to go to Hamburg.
- That's decided, then.

So if anyone's been to Hamburg and has any suggestions of things to do there, please let me know. Preferably while I'm still "revising" as it will give me something else to think about. Cheers my dears :-)