Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Does this ring any bells? Does the name My Lai mean anything?

Yes, I know, that was different, 300 died, this is only 15, blah blah. But you get my point...

My spirits were lifted slightly at the fact that the death of 17-year-old Humphrey, the Downing Street Cat warranted an obituary in The Times, which as a result has rather ogne up in my estimation. Humphrey was cruelly evicted from Downing Street, purportedly because Cherie Blair didn't like him. Which is fine. I don't especially like Cherie Blair.

For some reason I am still inexplicably cheerful. Must be something in the Redbush tea.

Saw a play on Saturday in Islington called "Almost Nothing". It did feel something of a rip-off: £8 was the discount rate and the play was only 50 minutes long. The story revolved around two people who shot a child (supposedly because he was about to attack them), then the mother showed up saying she knew all about it, so they hire a hit-man to kill her. All in 50 minutes, with short interludes where the main female character stands silently in front of the audience looking generally dramatic. The acting was fairly good, though, as was the et, and anything unfavourable in my review is probably only bitterness at the fact that this particular theatre company wouldn't do my play on account of them only producing "thought-provoking material", and considering mine to be "froth." (Huh!) It did, however, to give it dubious credit, have the distinction of dragging me away from writing an essay on the ethics of lying on one's CV.

Have a good day.