Thursday, March 09, 2006

Peter Kay in Doctor Who

Apparently Peter Kay is going to play a baddie in Doctor Who. I am now absolutely intent on watching the next series as it will now feature the rather lovely and generally gorgeously fantastic David Tennant AND the simply wonderful Peter Kay.

The only site that seems to have reported this so far is the Guardian's Blog (so it must be true.) They have taken the opportunity to encourage audience participation by asking people to post who they think would be a good choice to play Doctor Who baddies. Typically, most people have taken the opportunity for a bit of Tory-slamming (I love the Guardian!) I especially like the person who posted as Carol Thatcher whose comment simply read "My Mother."

Anyway, it's worth a look.

On a related note (in that it's reported on the same blog)George Galloway is apprently set to host his own radio show. And here was I thinking he was being paid to be an MP.

This story (NOT from the Guardian, to prove that I occasionally do allow myself to look elsewhere) is rather sweet.

Not sure what I think about the whole Caterpillar thing. My initial reaction was that the Church of England should withdraw its money. The trouble is, the whole argument has revolved around whether to do so would be anti-semitic or not, and that has rather clouded the issue. In fact, Caterpillar's bulldozers have reportedly been used to bulldoze homes and settlements in Zimbabwe and China as well as Israel, killing people in the process. The Church has been outspoken in its concerns regarding each of these countries, and it does seem to me a little two-faced to be profitting out of a company that's involved in some of the atrocities, however indirectly, that are going on there. This is not to say I have a problem with Caterpillar particularly - I don't know anything about them - but, sadly, that is what their equipment is currently used for, and I'm not keen to invest in it any more than in companies like BAE that claim to produce all kinds of stuff but, when you get right down to it, they are in part basically producing weapons. I also don't buy the argument that "only a small proportion" of their products are involved. I've never bought the whole "proportion" argument whatever the issue. As far as I am concerned, a life is a life, and when one is lost unnecessarily, we've buggered things up. That might well be "too idealistic" for you worldly blog readers (and I apologies - I don't do "serious" very often) but we shouldn't live in a world where such arguments can carry so much weight.

All that said, the BBC article interested me in that Caterpillar claim that they sold them to the US, who sold them to Israel. Now, why doesn't that surprise me?

Am having a seriously boring day - there's not much to do when you are a student adviser and the university is completely devoid of students requiring advice.