Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Rome

Haven't posted for a few days as was busy being robbed and pretending I was still a Catholic in Rome. This has reminded me that I really must look into photo hosting as I have taken a few photos which are not only identifiable, but actually good!

Rome is one of the few cities I would actually live in, despite the fact that the average life expectancy of the Roman citizen must be significantly reduced by the apparent lack of any kind of traffic regulations. Romans seem to ignore zebra crossings, which I think are there to give the roads a bit of variety rather than help unwitting pedestrians reach the other side. Even where green men crossings exist, which they do, intermittently, they seem to be there as a warning to drivers that they may have to swerve on their way through to avoid killing someone, rather than as an order to them to stop.

If Russian Roulette is not your game of choice it is, however, a great city in many other respects. For example, you can turn a corner and there right in front of you is the Colosseum, or the plinth on which Antony was meant to have given his "Friends, Romans, Countrymen" speech (despite the fact it was written over a thousand years later by Shakespeare) or a group of nuns crossing the road (OK, so not quite in the same vein as ancient wonders of the world, but it amuses me neverthelses, and they have the benefit of not being followed by street vendors trying to sell you luminous pink plaster models of San Pietro for 2 euros.) I also managed to use one of my six lines of Italian ("Il conto, per favore", which means "The bill, please") on a total of 12 occasions, which gives you an idea of what we spent most of our time in Rome doing. It was, in my defence, 24 degrees on the Sunday, and I even have a suntan to prove it.

The only downside was, as I said, getting robbed, and (ooh, this really rankles) being robbed by a kid who can't have been more than 8 years old, and on our first night there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got a letter back from the Blood Service thanking me for my letter(!) and saying that my comments have been noted (whatever that means.) If I want any more information I can apparently contact Ameena on their local-rate number. Lucky me.

Right, am off to buy the new Moz album and revel in my still-unpublished state.

7 Comments:

Blogger Tim Roll-Pickering said...

There is a way to upload photos to be hosted by blogspot if you can get them onto the computer in the first place. Drop me a line sometime and I'll explain.

4:32 pm  
Blogger RLS said...

Ah! I remember, you sorted out Dan's computer! Will get onto you about it soon.

How was conference?

Px

5:36 pm  
Blogger Tim Roll-Pickering said...

Due to health issues I ddin't go in the end.

11:23 pm  
Blogger RLS said...

Going on past experience I don't suppose you missed much!

Hope you're recovered now.

Px

11:35 am  
Blogger Tim Roll-Pickering said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:47 pm  
Blogger Tim Roll-Pickering said...

Elsewhere there's a round-up of blogs about the conference. On my blog you can find some debate on the priorities of NUS.

8:49 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

20160105xiaodaige
lacoste shirts
ralph lauren uk
cheap football shirts
polo ralph lauren
adidas outlet
ugg boots on sale
michael kors canada
oakley sunglasses
chanel handbags outlet
air jordan 4
rolex watches,rolex watches,swiss watches,watches for men,watches for women,omega watches,replica watches,rolex watches for sale,rolex replica,rolex watch,cartier watches,rolex submariner,fake rolex,rolex replica watches,replica rolex
hermes belt for sale
michael kors factory online
rolex watches outlet
vans shoes
true religion jeans
mac cosmetics
air jordan 11
discount ugg boots
ferragamo outlet
snapbacks wholesale
fitflops clearance
coach outlet store
tiffany outlet
ugg boots
michael kors outlet
mulberry handbags
rolex watches,rolex,watches for men,watches for women,omega watches,replica watches,rolex watches for sale,rolex replica,rolex watch,cartier watches,rolex submariner,fake rolex,rolex replica watches,replica rolex
nhl jerseys
ray-ban sunglasses
supra shoes
michael kors handbags
rolex watches for sale
nike air max uk
ugg outlet online

2:20 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home