Friday, June 10, 2005

PS You Rock My World

You know, sometimes in life, it's the little things that matter, and so often things that are actually really great go unnoticed. So I am setting the record straight in defence of the following:

1. Marks and Spencer. It amuses me that after Margaret Thatcher said it was her favourite shop their profits went down and they've never been the same since (coincidence? I'd like to think not.) But what has poor old M&S does to deserve that kind of slander? Let's look at the evidence: a shop that provides average-priced predictable clothes (and really, where else do you go if you need a suit for work or a plain top or skirt that doesn't have daft slogans or beads all over it?) great sandwiches and even a product called "Extremely chocolatey minibites". Surely they can do no wrong?
2. The Number 19 Bus. I have a no.19 bus fetish. It has a lot going for it. Firstly, it appears in the first line of a Clash song (Rudie can't Fail). Secondly, it gets you out of Battersea. Thirdly, it travels along the most impressive streets in London, kind of like a tour bus but without the American tourists and irritating voiceover.) Fourthly, it's a Routemaster (or at least it was last time I checked.) Finally, it appears in an obscure children's book called "The Witch That Made Children Cry".
3. George Harrison. OK, John Lennon was my favourite Beatle, but that wasn't George Harrison's fault. When the poor guy died (a fairly ordinary death, as well, which doesn't tend to enhance one's career, i.e. not getting shot or dying in the bath or on the toilet) all the papers were unanimous in their praise of this bloke who was fortunate enough to have been a Beatle but wasn't as good as John and Paul. Er...and? Actually he was a great guitarist, seemed like a nice guy, and was keen on gardening and fast cars. Not that I have too much time on my hands and bother reading up on this sort of thing of course... But anyway, George Harrison has been overshadowed too long, so here he is.
4. Ribena. Why are adults ashamed to drink Ribena? Well, I'm not. But people seem to look upon it as a kids' drink. Well, it is in a way. It's one of those things that when you taste it transports you back to your childhood. And they employ Ribena Berries to man their helpline, and that's good enough for me.
5. Garrison Keillor. The greatest writer of the twentieth century, only nobody seems to have heard of him. He is American (but that's not his fault) and writes the funniest, most observant short stories ever. Think Phoenix Nights meets The Waltons. Or maybe not.
6. Bradford. Wait, wait, yes I know it's full of racists and the football team is shite, and it's north of Watford etc etc. But hey, give it a chance! Actually it has the greatest curries in Britain, and lots of famous people came from there, and I don't just mean Gareth Gates, but also David Hockney, Kiki Dee, the Bronte sisters and quite a few others that I can't remember offhand (er, ok, so most of them have moved away, but hey, it's a start.) There are also some gorgeous areas in Bradford - go to Saltaire and marvel at it if you ever get the chance, and go to Omar's Balti House for the biggest Naan breads in hte UK! In 2003 they were up for Capital of Culture and brought an "Embassy" down to London for the day. I think I was the only person that went, but it was great! (And for the record, the football team isn't crap. Just...unlucky.)
7. Chilli Oil. I am actually quite middle-class at heart, and I always have chilli-infused olive oil in my kitchen. Mainly because you can add it to anything and it immediately becomes sophisticated.
8. Women's Football. Come on, guys, what's wrong with women's football? Give us a chance!
9. Westminster Cathedral. Nobody seems to know it's there, despite the fact that it's a huge building bang in the middle of Victoria Street (as in halfway down it, not in the middle of the road. Then you really would notice it.) I'm in danger of slipping into sentimentality again, and feel slightly sacrilegious putting on a par with Marks and Spencer and Ribena, but it's a gorgeous place, worth nipping into just to have a look some time even if you think religion is a load of rubbish.
10. If you can think of a number 10, let me know. I like round numbers.

xx

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

football is bollocks full stop. Womens football has 45 tits on the pitch instead of the usual 23, but it's still bollocks.

2:32 pm  
Blogger RLS said...

Am I to understand you are not a fan?

Px

6:36 pm  
Blogger Peter D. Williams said...

Wow, something Chees'm and I agree upon, scary... Well, actually, international football can be quite cool, but then I like being patriotic ("ENGERLAND!!!").

Rugby's better.

Peace be with you,

The Cavalier.

7:20 pm  
Blogger Peter D. Williams said...

Oh, BTW - yes Westmister Cathedral is wonderful - wish they'd finish it! And for number 10? How about, er, Number 10 (Downing Street)? OK, never been there, but the Houses of Parliament... ah, *sigh* *Sinks into admiring dream-like state* Definitely put that there - seeing Big Ben when you come out of Westminster tube station is worth the ticket just for that.

7:33 pm  
Blogger RLS said...

Hi Peter,

I don't think they did finish it, but that's part of its charm. As for Downing Street, I'm sure you'll get there one day :-)

Football-wise, if I hadn't expressed some sort of interest in it my dad and I would have had no relationship to speak of. And I did have international football on the brain - international women's football (well, Euro 1995, so close enough) has been on TV this week. And in traditional English fashion, we lost.

See you soon
Px

10:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Engerland" always strikes me as particularly Germanic.

Funny that, since it is what the nazi footballers shout...

oh...so not so funny then...

Patriotism being the last refuge of a scoundrel and all...

11:58 am  
Blogger Greg said...

As a several week late addition, can I just add that Omar's curries are decent too - it's not just a matter of ginormous naan breads. Though they are the star attraction.

8:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home