Saturday, May 27, 2006

I was wined and dined last night (though mainly wined) and perhaps it was my finally-receding hangover that led me to think that venturing into Camden Town at 6pm on a Saturday evening would be a Good Idea. For some reason it reminded me of the fairground in Ribblesdale Baths carpark, though I think this is mainly because of the strong smell of cheap fast food and the fact that it was drizzling. Either way, I ended up seeking solace in Fopp, and then, inexplicably, buying a Nelly Furtado CD, and, worse, breaking my rule that I never spend more than £9.99 on a CD. (I spent £10, because Fopp doesn't piss about with its pricing.) I'm listening to it now, and thus ends my brief flirtation with almost-contemporary music. (It's worth pointing out that the only other thing I bought was Mojo, because it had a picture of Joe Strummer on the front.)

If any of you were disturbed by the whole Grace post, the last couple of weeks have rather straightened things out of the whole grace front. Having missed my train last Friday by only 2 minutes, just before every screen in Waterloo went blank, resulting in a rush of polite men in suits proclaiming "but I MUST get back to Esher!" I came back on Monday night to find Julia, the only neighbour who ever speaks to me, panicking over her leaking ceiling, which, having soaked through her bed, sofa and carpet, now seemed to be threatening to fall through altogether. The upshot was that, in order to solve the problem (or maybe redress the balance, so the rest of us knew what it felt like) I came home to find a huge hole in my bedroom wall, pieces of the plaster that used to fill it in my sock drawer and recycling bin (though none in the real bin), and evidence that whoever was responsible had helped themselves to tea and toast and finished our bog roll. The hole is still there.

In other news, the Sinner or a Winner guy has got an ASBO, and consequently is no longer hanging around Oxford Circus telling us in his sweetly deadpan manner that we're all going to hell. I am slightly miffed about this: the Home Office sees fit to let loose onto our streets a not insubstantial number of rapists, murderers and paedophiles, but hey, as long as they managed to silence the bastard who's exercising his right to freedom of speech, we're all happy, right? Even more annoyingly, they hanen't ASBOed the dickheads who are standing metres away from my office window dressed in unsettlingly bright colours (black will always be the new black, as far as I'm concerned) shrieking "Come to Debenhams!" into a megaphone and thrusting fliers into your face if you have the audacity to walk past them. Assuming these guys don't have a deep-seated faith in the power of retail therapy at middle-of-the-road department stores, I don't quite see how their right to piss me off overides his. At least the Sinner or a Winner guy (who I'm sure has a real name, though I'm not sure what it is) allowed you to ignore him if you wanted to. And most did, quite happily.

Is it me, or do all Nelly Furtado's songs sound the same?

7 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Personally I think it's great he's been ASBO'd - I wouldn't mind if he stood somewhere just talking about his beliefs, but the megaphone in your ear is frickin irritating and I've seen him repeatedly "pick on" people in the crowds of commuters trying to get into the tube station.

It's the equivalent of someone playing loud obnoxious music in your ear. Of course you'd ask for it to be switched off.

Admittedly shop people are irritating too - but at least they don't tell you you're going to hell if you say "sorry, no"

3:38 pm  
Blogger RLS said...

Hmm. I'd agree with you were the people from Debenhams not shouting into megaphones below my window while I'm trying to tell someone how to extend their visa...

8:25 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debenhams will give you a store card, that way you don't need to extend your visa, you just put the excess on the Debenhams card.

9:35 am  
Blogger RLS said...

What a great idea! I might suggest it to the Home Office...

Debenham's refused to give mne a store card, on the basis that I dont have any store cards, and have therefore not had the opportunity to run up massive debts. Much like your mortgage...

Px

4:44 pm  
Blogger Kathryn Craven said...

your sock drawer? wha? is this corrective construction or someone crawling in from the other side?

i kind of missed it when the you're-going-to-hell-dead-fetus people weren't at their post in ny. i was kind of worried about them. aww.

7:20 pm  
Blogger RLS said...

Hey! How was Disney World?

8:54 pm  
Blogger Kathryn Craven said...

disney world was psycho. the magic kingdom was fun - including getting stuck in the haunted house for a bit when the ride broke down. we got to stay there until 2:30 in the morning which was cool.

epcot would probably be better with 5,000 less people and wait-time for rides as less that 2 and a half hours.

sea world was actually relatively amusing and a dolphin let me pet it even after i had given up the sardine! how frickin' cool is that?

that is all. i go pack now.

8:12 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home