Thursday, June 01, 2006

News and Tributes

The trouble with the Futureheads was that their first album was good, and not just good in the "they're-worth-watching-might-produce-something-interesting-later-on" kind of good. Yes, there was a considerable amount of what can only be described (and I apologise for sounding like a pensioner) as "noise", but there was also a Kate Bush cover that managed to be even more bizarre than the original, their brilliant single "Decent Days and Nights", and among other averagely decent songs "Carnival Kids".

And so we came to expect too much. Wow, we thought, if that was their first album, what will the second be like?

Well, pretty much the same as the first one, without Kate Bush's talent for songwriting. "News And Tributes" again has a lot of noise, in between it's rather fine "Skip to the End" and the averagely decent title song and"Worry About it Later". So, really, it has its moments, but they are just moments.

I should point out that, were this the first album, we'd be greeting it with a fair bit of enthusiasm. It's good stuff, and I still like it (though I don't quite know what "post punk" is. Sounds like punk to me. Maybe it's the lack of safety pins.) It's just that I expected to like it more.

* * * *

There's still a hole in my bedroom wall. This is annoying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home