Saturday, June 24, 2006

Sitting at home. What am I doing?

That, by the way, is a line from The Secret Machines. Have given up on The Futureheads, but did manage to pick up "A Night at the Opera" for £3.99 in Woolworths, one of the nicer shops in what our guide for new students inexplicably calls "Elephant and Castle's vibrant shopping centre."

This review of "On The Third Day" in the Evenings Standard makes my review look positively glowing, so I thought I would share it with you as proof that it wasn't just out of jealousy that I thought Kate Betts' play was rubbish.

My publisher and I have managed to concoct this to go into my book (yes, I realise I am sounding pretentious, but I'm enjoying it.) Anyway, I rather like it:

"An expatriate of Yorkshire, Ann Spellman is a London-based humourist and Bradford City supporter who in her spare time works in a university. She has appeared on BBC4 and her work has been featured at the Laughing Horse Comedy Club and Soho Theatre."

It does stretch the truth rather. My "appearance" on BBC4 was as an audience member, giving it my best Joyce Grenfell and telling Muriel Gray that "Mrs Dalloway" was really rather good. The Laughing Horse at least got my name in Time Out but the slot lasted a mere seven minutes. As for Soho, well, I suppose that one is legit. Not sure what my boss (who doesn't look like Luca Toni) will think about the mere hobby status of my job, aside from the fact that it's not true, since I both love my job and seem to be solely responsible for various bits of exciting admin at the moment that have meant I have been staying late after work and spending my nights dreaming about visa corrections and talks for language students.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn Craven said...

you told the truth. you did appear on bbc4. you didn't do anything, but you did appear. it might have been a bit more accurate to say that your work at the university is in your spare passion instead of time since it doesn't seem to be the call of your life. and really, are you going to be brought up on legal charges for any of it? i don't think so.

9:19 am  
Blogger Buntifer said...

and surely your name is not Ann Spellman? Hehe

7:24 pm  
Blogger Rachel said...

Ann Spellman? Is that gonna be your pen name?

9:41 pm  
Blogger RLS said...

Yep. It's my middle name and my granny's maiden name. Problem with my own name is you type it into Google and it comes up with essays about bisexuals in literature and various other things that don't really go with the image of someone who writes about cricket and dead cats.

Px

10:04 pm  
Blogger RLS said...

"I'm looking for different ways to earn money."

Aren't we all, Flower?

2:43 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

20160105xiaodaige
lacoste shirts
ralph lauren uk
cheap football shirts
polo ralph lauren
adidas outlet
ugg boots on sale
michael kors canada
oakley sunglasses
chanel handbags outlet
air jordan 4
rolex watches,rolex watches,swiss watches,watches for men,watches for women,omega watches,replica watches,rolex watches for sale,rolex replica,rolex watch,cartier watches,rolex submariner,fake rolex,rolex replica watches,replica rolex
hermes belt for sale
michael kors factory online
rolex watches outlet
vans shoes
true religion jeans
mac cosmetics
air jordan 11
discount ugg boots
ferragamo outlet
snapbacks wholesale
fitflops clearance
coach outlet store
tiffany outlet
ugg boots
michael kors outlet
mulberry handbags
rolex watches,rolex,watches for men,watches for women,omega watches,replica watches,rolex watches for sale,rolex replica,rolex watch,cartier watches,rolex submariner,fake rolex,rolex replica watches,replica rolex
nhl jerseys
ray-ban sunglasses
supra shoes
michael kors handbags
rolex watches for sale
nike air max uk
ugg outlet online

2:38 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home